An Introduction to Voice Acoustics:
Helpful glossary of terms compiled by Dr. Philip Sargent (Shenandoah Conservatory):
Brief overview of source-filter theory of vocal apparatus (linked to informational website at University of New South Wales):
- Introduction and overview
- The source at the larynx
- Resonances, spectral peaks, formants, phonemes and timbre
- The vocal tract as a pipe or duct
- Resonances, frequency, pitch and hearing
- Timbre and singing
- The origin of vocal tract resonances
- Tract-wave interactions
- Do the ‘source’ and the ‘filter’ affect each other?
- Does the glottis affect the tract resonances?
- Do pressure waves affect the vocal fold vibration?
- Do singers and speakers use tract resonances and pitch in a coordinated way?
- Harmonic singing
- The singers formant